Posts Tagged ‘Citadellet Frederikshavn’
The construction of Kastellet was initiated in 1626 by the Danish King Christian IV to enhance the safety of the defensive wall of Copenhagen. Nowadays, although still have a military use, is one of the sights of Copenhagen. Kastellet Nearby stands the statue of The Little Mermaid.
Christian IV was planning to build a castle on this site, but finally the project was not carried out due to lack of funds.
Frederick III Christian IV’s successor, continued the construction of the fort, which was the first line of defense against enemy attacks directed from the sea.
The engineer Henrik Ruse finally rebuilt and extended the fortification, which was completed in 1663 and was renamed Citadellet Frederikshavn. Over time it was known simply as Kastellet. Read the rest of this entry »